Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fortress of Solitude

The Brink's Home Security guys were at the house today installing the new home security system.
They arrived at about 8am and went through a bunch of paper work and asked me a few questions - where I'd like the keypad, what doors I enter and a handful of other questions.
On Tuesday when I scheduled the installation I had purposely scheduled it for today since I had a shoot schedule for Wednesday. Figures that just after scheduling the install, my shoot moved to Thursday. I figured changing the install this late in the game would just muck everything up, so I decided to try to work around the shoot.
My house was pre-wired for a security system when it was built back in 1999, so I guess I was thinking that they would just slap the thing in and be done by noon. I was wrong of course.
Luckily, as a contingency plan I had talked my Dad into coming over and hanging out if the Brink's guys were still around by the time I had to leave for the shoot.
Dad showed up around 11:30am and the Brink's guys were still going strong. I split about noon and drove over to the shoot. The shoots were pretty quick. One was demonstrating how to use a notebook cable lock and best practices for using them. The other was a quick demo of the bio-metric fingerprint readers that some notebooks have to increase security and ease of use (you don't often misplace or forget your fingertip). Both were in the can by 2:30pm.
I zipped back home to find that the Brink's guys were getting close to finishing up, running tests and doing some checks. Shortly after I arrived Dad left to run some errands. I thanked him for taking time out of his day to help me out. My parents are wonderful.
By about 4pm the Brink's guys gave me a few lessons on how to use the system, how to turn it on and off, how to cancel alarms, turn the motion detector off, and various options I can set. I think I've forgotten everything by now. I'm sure I'll end up setting it off a few times before I get used to it.
Good thing they left a DVD for me to watch that explains everything again.

No comments: